My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS

I am currently reading a new book by Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, partners in the firm of Piketty, Saez, and Zucman.  It is called THE TRIUMPH OF INJUSTICE: How the Rich Dodge Taxes and How to Make Them Pay.  I will be finished with it tomorrow [it is not quite 200 pages long], and will report on it then.  By way of preview, it is, in effect, a detailed economic defense of the Sanders and Warren plans to tax the wealth of the rich.  I think without too much trouble I can place it interestingly in a larger historical and theoretical context.  I have always read slowly, a deficiency that did not hinder me when I was doing philosophy, but I could never have hacked it in the world of Lit Crit.  Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Dean said...

The most recent CRS report I can find on proposals for taxing high-income taxpayers is this from 2010: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc29628/m1/1/high_res_d/R41480_2010Nov05.pdf

It doesn't include a "wealth tax," but I bet some of the arguments that Zucman & Saez address echo the ones described here.

s. wallerstein said...

About reading faster, probably everyone knows Woody Allan's joke. If not:

I just took a speed-reading course! (Said with enthusiasm)

I finished all of War and Peace in an hour!!! (Said with even more enthusiasm).

It's about Russia.

Dean said...

Not as good as Woody's, but here's Steven Wright: "I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room."

Dean said...

And apropos of learning to play a musical instrument, again Wright: "When I was in school the teachers told me practice makes perfect; then they told me nobody’s perfect so I stopped practicing."

Matt said...

On the topic of thinking about taxing the rich, I'd recommend my friend Dan Halliday's recent book, _Inheritance of Wealth_. It's short, nicely argued, and, though it goes into some modest degree of detail about tax scheme design, it's not overly technical nor dry. You can see it here: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/inheritance-of-wealth-9780198803355?cc=au&lang=en&

I found most of it to be highly plausible.

marcel proust said...

Probably less practical (i.e., less likely) than taxing wealth: Bellamy's suggestion (IIRC*) that people are free to pursue wealth but the wealthy are deprived of the right to participate politically, i.e., vote or run for office.

*It's been nearly a half century since I last read the book.