My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

NIGHT SWEATS


With the first meeting of my UNC course on Marx only thirteen days away, I can tell that the new semester is upon us because last night I had, yet again, a version of the nightmare that has troubled my sleep many times as semesters begin.  The details vary but the theme is always the same:  It is two weeks into a new semester, I have been meeting my two courses regularly, and suddenly I realize I am supposed to be teaching a third course as well that I have completely forgotten about.  Guilt stricken, I rush to the room, where [this is the part that shows it is a dream] the students have been waiting patiently for two weeks for me to show up.

Last night, since I intend sometime in February to begin a series of recorded lectures on David Hume in addition to the Marx course, the dream was that it was 9:15 a.m., my forgotten Hume lectures were scheduled to start at 9:30, and I was in the basement of a campus building trying to find the staircase out.  I had also, it seems, forgotten where I had parked my car [another recurring nightmare – this dream seems to have been a twofer.]

Oddly enough, something akin to this actually happened to me the first year I started teaching.  It was the Fall of 1955 and I was a twenty-one year old Harvard Teaching Fellow, just back from my European wanderjahr.  [A Teaching Fellow is Harvard’s notion of a TA.  Harvard also graded students A, B, C, D, and E.  It was not until I left Harvard and went to teach at Chicago that I discovered the rest of the world considered F the failing grade.]

I was assigned three discussions sections of Raphael Demos’ famous Philosophy 1 intro course.  One week that semester [not the first, thank God] I simply forgot to meet one of the sections!  I slunk around Harvard Square for a week, convinced the students were outraged.  In fact, of course, they probably waited three minutes past the mandatory seven and then split, delighted the section had been cancelled.  As I recall, the next week, nobody asked where I had been.

8 comments:

Robert Paul Wolff said...

My old friend and current co-instructor at Columbia, Todd Gitlin, sent along this comment: "Bob, I too have had the oh-my-God-I-missed-the-first-class dream more than once. As best I can recall, it always entails my suddenly realizing I have a second job at a different university & have neglected to show up. In self-punitive shame I start out to drive toward the second class. I don't get there, but it strikes me that there are two oddities. First, no one ever punishes me. (I suppose I don't need anyone else to punish me when I can accomplish the task myself.) Second, it's always at a second university. Is there a subtext? I have so much to bring the world, I need two distinct jobs to disburden myself?

I tried to post this on your comments but am somehow blocked, but if you feel like taking cognizance of my footnote, feel free.

T.

Michael Llenos said...

David Hume was an atheist & did not believe that there existed a 'medium' between every cause and its effect. So he discounted belief in the cause & effect of things. This way he got rid of his belief in the cosmological argument for his philosophy.

Jesus, Einstein, & Bill O'Reilly all believe in God. They also believe that cause and effect works in the universe.

In Matthew 5:25, Jesus said something to this effect: Settle with your adversary on the way to court. Or he will hand you over to the judge, who will hand you over to the officer, who will hand you over to the jailer, and you will be thrown into prison.

That was clearly a belief in cause and effect.

Einstein preferred Spinoza's philosophy to that of others like Hume. Spinoza was a great believer in Cause & Effect. Therefore, Einstein believed in cause and effect. Walter Isaacson makes a case for this in his biography on Einstein.

Bill O'Reilly, when he still had his show, would sometimes say: 'A' leads to 'B' which leads to 'C' which leads to 'D'...
Obviously, he has this belief from Matthew 5:25. Or, at least I assume it.

To conclude, to take Hume's side on destroying Cause & Effect, it is almost impossible to be a monotheist. For the cosmological argument is void. And if you're a monotheist, how can you agree with Hume in good conscience?

Michael Llenos said...

When I mean 'medium' between every cause & its effect, Hume believed that one could not 'sense' a medium.

s. wallerstein said...

While I don't have "I missed the class" dreams, I have a lot of "I missed x" dreams, where I realize that I'm supposed to take an airplane flight or show up for a very important appointment or meet someone whom I dearly want to see somewhere and then I begin to search franticly for my passport or my keys or my cellphone or my debit card or my shoes or whatever I need, but never find. Actually, it seems like my most recurring dream theme or at least the most recurring dream theme that I remember when I wake up.

What would your psychoanalyst have made of such dreams?

jgkess@cfl.rr.com said...

It's a wonder you didn't dream yourself naked as well. Iv'e had many such dreams--- but they've always seemed to be in the course of a Philosophy Final.

Dean said...

Your nightmare story has gone viral...literally. It's contagious, and I caught it. My dream last night had me back in college, madly preparing for two courses I'd somehow neglected. One was a drama class. I had a part in an upcoming play, but I hadn't bothered to memorize lines or even attend rehearsals. The second was an introduction to Kant. The textbook was odd, an assortment of excerpts, questions, and problems to solve, much like a legal casebook. The professor was decidedly uninterested in Kant. It occurred to me (in the dream) that I would do better to prepare for an exam by watching YT videos presented by RPW!

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Dean, having a part in a play and not having memorized any lines definitely qualifies! By the way, I often have dreams in which I am naked, but they are not upsetting and for some reason no one notices. Sorry to have infected you!! :)

Unknown said...

Hope you're OK.