My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

AN EXCHANGE WITH ZIXUAN WU

Following is an email exchange I had earlier this morning.  The last line is the kicker.

Dear Prof. Wolff,

Greetings!  In one of your anecdotes in your online lectures you talked about a Polish professor who is a logician giving a lecture at Harvard in the 80s. That prof introduced a symbol that is like an upward arrow unifying AND OR NOT the three logical connectives. However with very hard work, weirdly, I still cannot find it on Google. What was that symbol! Was I out of my mind?

Thank you very much!

Best wishes,
Zixuan Wu

[He? then added]:  In fact I was out of my mind. I kept thinking of Tarski Stroke when in fact it is Sheffer’s Stroke. God bless. Wish you all the best and good tidings.

[I replied]  Indeed it is the Sheffer Stroke,  But my  anecdote was incorrect [and it was the 60s, not the 80s!!!  That is how old I am.]   It was not Alfred Tarski.  It was Alonzo Church.  My mistake. 

Nah prof. It was me who made the mistake because my brain is messed up at the time. You were right otherwise I could not get it right at all. Thank you Prof I love your videos great companions to reading Kant! 

Are you a student? here? 

Yes, I am! I go to a school west of UMass at Boston College. I watched yours on YouTube.   

I saw bc.edu and thought it might be Boston College. Stay safe!

Thanks, you too! Funny thing is I’m diagnosed positive for COVID thing and I’m hospitalized in China. Thanks anyways. Was watching your video today I guess it helped.

1 comment:

Michael Llenos said...

I hope Zixuan Wu makes a speedy recovery. God bless Zixuan Wu. As a Catholic, my Diocese Bishop has already posted a written prayer to ask God for deliverance from the coronavirus. I believe many Muslims, Mormons, Protestants, Buddhists, and the Jewish people have already made their own prayers to battle the virus as well.

Dr. Oz said something to the effect this morning that a bat bit a rat in China causing the coronavirus. He said this in response to the people who think the virus was cooked up in a lab somewhere.

Here is a prayer by the Book of Common Prayer 17th century
to combat plague...

O Almighty God, who in thy wrath didst send a plague upon thine own people in the wildernes for their obstinate rebellion against Moses and Aaron, and also in the time of King David, didst slay with the plague of pestilence threescore and ten thousand, and yet remembring thy mercy didst save the rest: have pitie upon us miserable sinners, who now are visited with great sicknes and mortality, that like as thou didst then accept of an atonement, and didst command the destroying Angell to cease from punishing: so it may now please thee to withdraw from us this plague and grievous sicknes, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

And just because I'm Catholic doesn't mean I won't pray a perfectly good Anglican prayer.--Michael Llenos (Pasteur)