My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

WILL WONDERS NEVER CEASE!


First they put out the hand sanitizer dispensers.  Then they cancelled all gatherings of more than twenty people.  Then they closed off the section of the Assisted Living facility reserved for the sickest residents, banning even husbands or wives save in what is delicately called an “end of life” situation.  Yesterday they closed two of the three entrances to the community so that they could closely monitor who comes in.  And yesterday evening they served the last meals in the three dining rooms.  Starting today, there will be four prepackaged alternatives for dinner, to be picked up and taken back to our apartments.  A notice went out that residents could request food and other supplies from the Office of Resident Services, which would place the orders online with Lowe’s Food and Walmart and deliver them to our doors.  We were strongly advised not to leave the community to shop ourselves at local stores.

Having my doubts about Lowe’s Foods, I went on line to see whether the local Whole Foods delivers.  Of course it does.  What is more, it recognized me when I navigated to the site and knows everything I have ever bought there!  It displayed tasty pictures of my favorite fruits, vegetables, and cheeses with a little clickable “buy it again” box underneath the picture.

Once again, I am the last person in the civilized world to know about this.

4 comments:

henry said...

Ha,
Aside from college, I work part time at whole foods. I will warn you if you have not found out already that online ordering may be very difficult; the department that bags online orders in my store is sometimes getting 300 online orders lined up before 7am with the system sometimes crashing.

Some personal thoughts: I was thinking about quitting my job there due to the pandemic, but decided not to out of a sense of personal responsibility (If not me who will do it?). I am all but certain to catch it at work, but I'm in my twenties and healthy so it won't be a big deal for me. For my older co-workers, especially those in their fifties and up, it's a very dangerous job (100s of people every hour rushing in to buy food, sharing air); they shouldn't be required to work and in my view corporate America should be required to provide paid time off to them for as long as this is spreading, especially since the grocery store chains are making a killing right now off of this.

It's peculiar how what is normally a 'meaningless job', one that mostly commands disrespect from society, suddenly becomes one of the front lines of the pandemic.

Amarnath said...

Keep up the good work, Henry! Thanks a lot.

Jerry Fresia said...

Gloves!! Gloves are the key....especially for older types in their 50s!!

Business Leads World said...
This comment has been removed by the author.