My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

THE OLD PHILOSOPHER GOES HYPER-MODERN


I live in a Continuing Care Retirement Community just south of Chapel Hill, NC, a CCRC as it is now common to say.  When people ask me what it is like I say it is a collection of upper middle class old white people well looked after by working class black and brown people.  Pretty much all seven hundred residents are over seventy, many like myself are over eighty, and a considerable number are over ninety or even one hundred.  Most of us have “underlying medical conditions,” and many of us have “compromised immune systems” as well.  In short, we are a nightmare target for the coronavirus.

At the moment UNC Chapel Hill is on spring break, but we reconvene on Monday, and my course on Marx is due to meet at 1 pm on that day.  I have been stewing for days over the advisability of my spending two hours in a small seminar room with twenty young people who have just returned from God knows where.  I have been worried not only for myself but also for my wife and for all the other residents of this CCRC.  Today, I resolved my anxieties with a giant leap into the twenty-first century.

It seems UNC has something called Zoom, which I am apparently the last person on earth to hear of.  Tomorrow morning I will be tutored in its use, and starting Monday, until the end of the semester, I will teach my seminar from the desk chair where I am now sitting.  My students will be able to see me, and I believe I and the others will be able to see a student who asks a question or makes a comment.

If this works, I could teach a course at any college or university in the country!  Any takers?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prof. Wolff: You can teach anyone anywhere in the world, from your chair through the Zoom Conference Call. Participants can listen,either live or off-line, if you were record and post them on your website. How about your Hume lectures on Zoom? Thank you.

David Palmeter said...

American University in DC today suspended classes through April 3--to resume April 6 if all is well. Classes will be done online for the next four weeks. OLLI at AU is doing likewise. How all of this will work out is unclear at the moment. Both decisions were taken after meetings today.

Tom Hickey said...

Thumbs up! Go for it.

David Auerbach said...

They are all closing. Here's MIT's wonderful letter. Other places aren't being as smart (Texas A&M said first not closing, then closing for two days, .... Dunderheads). NCSU instructors were told last week to have thoroughly worked out contingency plans for remote teaching. They probably (if smart) close campus once break is over. People in the bench sciences have a lot of worries--places like the Rockefeller have to close down mouse using labs (support staff may not be able to come in) and worry about maintaining cell lines. Liquid nitrogen supplies are crucial and may be interrupted. etc. Research projects usually don't have convenient pause buttons.

Anonymous said...

Us little people would like to hear the lectures too. Is there a way? Or do you have to pay the dollars to join the club? The hypocrisy of it all.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

It isn't dollars so far as I am concerned. It is technology. I am using UNC's system, and you have to be in the system to access the feed. It is different from YouTube. When I post a lecture there, it is available to anyone for, in effect, forever.

Unknown said...

I'm very in! First time I've ever heard about this too.

NP

Business Leads World said...

Best Merchant Cash Advance Leads are exclusive Leads addressed to you Merchant Cash Advance Leads is the Qualified MCA Leads provider as a firm in the entire globe.