My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, August 31, 2020

MAKING PLANS

Here are my plans for voting. In North Carolina, absentee ballots will be sent out during the first two weeks of September, so I should get mine in the second or third week of this month. I just checked with the Chatham County elections board and once I have voted on my absentee ballot, I can drive down to Pittsboro, wearing both a facemask and my plastic face shield (courtesy of Amazon.com), and deliver it by hand, spending the shortest possible time inside in the presence of other people. Absentee ballots are scanned as they arrive and the totals will be added in on election day.

Okay, Donald J Trump, try screwing that up!

Josh Marshall on TPM has a column today explaining why Democrats are congenital worriers. Needless to say, I am sitting here having nothing else to do and worrying.

I have not yet made contingency plans in the eventuality that Trump wins reelection but I believe self – immolation is in there somewhere.

4 comments:

C said...

I know you’re joking but do not immolate yourself if Trump wins. Do not get all depressed. This is exactly what Trump and his hardcore supporters want. They are waging all-out psychological warfare and they want to crush your spirits and morale.

Instead, get the COVID-19 vaccine once it is released and wait for the pandemic to end. Then decide whether you want to continue living in America or move to Europe (e.g. your Paris apartment) or Canada. If you decide to stay in America, then mentally prepare yourself for another four years of Trump: chaos, lawlessness, and disorder. And even if you do move to Europe or Canada, you will still be paying a lot of attention to America and Trump, albeit at a distance. You may be greatly relieved to live in a different country but you’ll still see and hear plenty of Trump, unless you fully block out the news.

David Zimmerman said...

As a US citizen who currently lives in Canada, I can only agree with C when he says that living abroad does not preclude "paying a lot of attention to America and Trump, albeit at a distance." He is also correct that one "may be greatly relieved to live in a different country but [will] still see and hear plenty of Trump."

My wife tells me that I should try to block out more of the news from Trump's America than I do, but it is hard not to look at it aghast.

Sigh.

Jon Rosenthal said...

Why don't they have a drop box for ballots the way we do here in Maine?

Anonymous said...

Be sure to wear goggles as well! Gloves help too!