My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

PROVERBS 16:18

The Good Book tells us “Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.”  Sigh, in this as in much else the Bible is a source of wisdom. What follows has nothing to do with the death of Colin Powell or with what we all hope will be the eventual incarceration of Steve Bannon. Rather, it concerns a purely personal experience the effects of which have dominated my thoughts for the past four days. Those seeking high-minded left-wing commentary on the public world will have to search elsewhere today.

 

Some while ago I told the world that I have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. There is not much doctors can do for people afflicted with the disease save prescribe a medication with the tradename Sinemet, which my doctor has already done for me. But the available research literature does make it clear that the one thing the patient himself or herself can do to postpone the progress of the disease is to engage in aerobic exercise that raises the heart rate to 100 or more for at least half an hour.

 

Well, for many years my principal source of exercise has been an hour long early morning walk and some while ago I actually got a wrist heart monitor from Amazon.com which allows me to measure my heart rate (and all sorts of other things, of course, tech being what it is these days.) The physical therapist with whom I worked briefly in September counseled me to concentrate on taking longer steps and walking faster. Following her advice, I fairly quickly shortened the time it took me to do my 2 2/3 mile walk from 67 minutes to as fast as 55 minutes – an accomplishment in which I took an inordinate pride, despite the fact that even at my fastest I would on occasion be passed by a little old lady walking a dog. With the heart monitor, I learned that I was getting my heart rate up to 95 or higher after the first half of the walk and increasing that level for the second half. I was puffed up with the importance of this accomplishment and made sure, each time I returned to our apartment, to tell my wife exactly how many minutes my walk had taken and how high I had raised my heart rate. I began to think that I would live as long as the woman who used to occupy the apartment across the hall from ours and has just passed her 99th birthday.

 

Then disaster hit. On Thursday, I barreled along in my usual fashion getting my heart rate up in the 100 range but as I neared the end of my walk I began to do what neurologists call “festinating.”  This means that my steps got faster and faster and shorter and shorter despite my efforts to control them. I stumbled into the lobby of my building and half fell against the wall, squatting down and propping myself up against the wall with my hands and the top of my head. I was completely unable to stand up and finally lowered myself onto the carpet and lay there immobile. Fortunately, I must have pressed my security pendant when I lay down because in four or five minutes two of the security men at Carolina Meadows came by and hoisted me to my feet. I was able to walk to the elevator and get into our apartment, weak and shaken and quite frightened.

 

I am trying to get in touch with my neurologist – a process that always takes several days – but I think there are really only two options. Either she increases my medication, if that is indicated, or I will have to get myself what is called a recumbent exercycle (needless to say, Amazon offers several dozen options), after which instead of taking my morning walk I will sit in my study and pedal for 35 or 40 minutes, four or five days a week.

 

An unpleasant experience, to be sure, but what is the big deal? Well, I have become rather well-known around Carolina Meadows as an early morning walker and a great many people have commented on seeing me and have praised me for my persistence in my early morning walks. I have taken an inordinate pride in the reputation I have acquired, one which is enhanced by my practice of wearing shorts even in freezing weather, a fact that others comment on with wonder.

 

Clearly, putting off the hideous end stages of Parkinson’s disease takes precedence over the stroking of my ego, so I will do whatever my neurologist recommends. But I will be sad to give up my daily morning walk.

 

Pride doth indeed go before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

15 comments:

Ahmed Fares said...

I found this video interesting. Has the professor done any research in this area?

Medical Marijuana and Parkinson's Part 3 of 3

There's research also being done using CBD oil, which is a part of marijuana that doesn't get you high.

CBD Oil for Parkinson’s: Can It Help? Maybe, According to Research

As an aside, my oldest daughter who has trouble sleeping starting using a drop of CBD oil under her tongue before she goes to bed and her sleep has greatly improved. I tried it once and I noticed a difference also.

s. wallerstein said...

Sorry to hear about that.

You could still take a walk and then go on your stationary bicycle. You're probably not pressed for time and even if you are, you could shorten your walk from 55 minutes to, say,
20 or 25 minutes.

I take one or two daily walks myself and I find that the psychological benefits of a morning walk are there even on a short walk.

Charles Pigden said...

Best wishes, and I hope you find a safe way to keep on walking. I am at one with Wallerstein on the psychological – one might say more pretentiously the 'spiritual' – benefits of outdoor exercise especially in a rural or semi-rural environment.

Anonymous said...

A recumbent is the way to go. You can design the intensity of the work to fit your needs, its safer, fun. Look for website "David Rides a Trike" on Youtube. Moreover, you can add power to it so the when ambition exceeds ability, just power home.

Anonymous said...

Here is a link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5qHUJpYlQ&t=390s&ab_channel=DavidRidesaTrike

s. wallerstein said...

As Charles Pidgen says, it really helps me (at least) spiritually to get outside and even walk around the block. In my case at least spending a day inside, even with the exercise benefits of a stationary bicycle, is deadening, while the walk is liberating and as Aristotle and Nietzsche, among other philosophers, claim, walking promotes clear thinking.

F Lengyel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aaall said...

You might combine both of the above. If you enjoy the walks, continue as you are able walking, get an exercise machine, and try CBD which, according to the Cannabis Business Times, is legal in NC. There's lots of literature listed in google scholar.

A medical cannabis act is currently stalled in the legislature. It also seems that medical cannabis is allowed on Cherokee land so if you know a registered member, there you go. Anyway, CBD is available on line so you should try it and in local dispenseries. I grow several strains including one that meets federal standards for THCa but is high in CBDa. If you were closer I'd just give you some but there are several CBD dispensaries in North Carolina. Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=nus5&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:10&tbm=lcl&q=cbd+dispensary+north+carolina&rflfq=1&num=10&ved=2ahUKEwimgqTrydfzAhV2GjQIHctVCqsQtgN6BAgGEAg#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[45.12421079559705,-56.56095624531248],[27.610892660694415,-91.32169843281248],null,[36.86675728195271,-73.94132733906248],5]

Another Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about these complications. I trust you will find a routine which will help you persevere.

LFC said...

Didn't even know what CBD stood for before seeing this thread. Searched for it and came up w this recent piece, which I haven't had time yet to read properly:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476

Jerry Fresia said...

As Durante pointed out, "Everybody wants to get into the act...." In this case, the act is old people talking with other old people about health issues. I can't resist.

I share S. Wallerstein's opinion that the bike and the walking aren't mutually exclusive and using the bike for cardio (yes, boring but great for listening to podcasts or whatever) would, it seems to me, free you to return to leisurely and thought provoking morning strolls. And no doubt, given that everyone has now heard of the professor's calamity, said professor would be held in even higher admiration for continuing the morning prideful walks in the face, even, of outrageous fortune.

Good Lord (as the Good Book probably says somewhere), steady, long, quick strikes sound grueling to say the least. I think this "festinating" was a blessing in disguise. And what a great new (?) word for the crossword puzzles.

Christopher J. Mulvaney, Ph.D. said...

OMG, I agree with Wallerstein and Pigden!! Leisurely stroll for pleasure and bike for cardio does sound like the right prescription.

Michael Llenos said...

I've heard a recent rumor (or news report on a medical study) a short while ago that marijuana may increase the risk of heart attacks.

I have posted the following from Proverbs 31:4-5

"It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted."

I suppose you could replace kings and princes with philosophy professors and wine with marijuana. But I have such a high opinion of you I'm pretty sure you wouldn't smoke that stuff even if all of your friends were doing it.

Although I did see a show a couple of years ago on how marijuana does help people with certain acute nervous system diseases that cannot be cured with modern pharmaceuticals.

TheDudeDiogenes said...

Prof, I am relieved that you were not seriously injured by your fall. Best wishes in your endeavor to continue exercising!

Anonymous said...

check out the Brain's Way of Healing for some possibly helpful strategies for helping with Parkinsons. Doidige is a friend of Jordan Peterson but this may be able to be forgiven for these purposes.