My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

THINGS TO COME

I have now reread about 1/3 of The Racial Contract by Charles Mills, the last major work to be assigned in my course next semester, and my long standing impression is confirmed that it is the most important work of political theory to appear in English in more than a century – and yes that includes A Theory of Justice and even (hem, hem) my own In Defense of Anarchism. It is an extraordinary book and, remarkable in the literature of political theory, true.

 

This exercise in rereading has been a delight for me and I am looking forward with great enthusiasm to the opportunity to teach the course next semester (assuming that I can climb the steep flight of stairs to the second floor of Caldwell Hall where it meets.) I am going to have to warn the students that it will be an extremely difficult course but I make no apologies for that. This course would do well in any graduate program in America.

11 comments:

David Zimmerman said...

Racial.....

s. wallerstein said...

More important than Marcuse's Eros and Civilization and One Dimensional Man, which also first appeared in English?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Yes, more important than those books, much as I love them.

s. wallerstein said...

Thanks. One point about Marcuse being important is that his books are read and have influenced thinkers outside the U.S., while I would imagine that Mills' work is mainly relevant within the context of U.S. political thought and life. I've noticed in my local bookstore that some of Marcuse's works are still in print in Spanish and can be found in the shelves of a middle-sized "intellectually oriented" bookstore in Santiago de Chile, which indicates how influential he was and still is.

Anonymous said...

Of possible interest:

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.931.7316&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Unfortunately Cole’s response does not seem to be readily available on line.

http://charleswmills.com/content/Mills_The%20RacialContractrevisited.pdf

Jerry Brown said...

"I am going to have to warn the students that it will be an extremely difficult course but I make no apologies for that."

I remember one professor who specifically warned me that his course (Chinese History) would be extremely difficult and that he did not think I would be a suitable student and pretty apparently did not want me in his class. Pissed me off enough to get an A in the course. And a nice note from the professor.

Unknown said...

Re the "steep flight of stairs" -- Is UNC exempt from ADA requirements? No elevators available?

carrjast said...

Professor Wolff warned me not to take his Political Philosophy graduate course when I was a Junior undergraduate transferring from a community college. I was insulted and ignored him. Alas, he was right-I was overwhelmed by the material, which I was just being introduced to.I did better when I later took his undergraduate level course. (My writing was not up to tackling a critique of Nozick.)

Zahara Marley said...



Dr Abiodun ALKALINE detoxication Wine.
Drink ALKALINE detoxication wine regularly to reap its health benefits which

among others includes Lump Dissolving Lower blood pressure,cure cancer, kills HIV, cures Herpes simplex virus,

lower blood sugar and a pleasurable way of preventing cancer! 10X stronger than chemo therapy, it selectively

targets cancer cells leaving the healthy cells untouched Antioxidant Regulates hormonal imbalance Promotes good

sleep DOSAGE: 30 to 60ml BEFORE BEDTIME Get yours now! Contact Dr Abiodun clinic Tel/Whats-App:

+2349153551847 https://www.facebook.com/OtaborAbiodunHerbalMedicine/  Email:drotaborabiodun@gmail.com

Ruth Maris said...

All thanks to Dr Alli for curing my herpes virus/hpv with his herbal medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will forever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Alli to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV of 5 is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr Alli that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( Allispellhelp1@gmail.com ) or his whatsapp number +2348100772528 and get your healing

Unknown said...

Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com