My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, April 29, 2022

COUCH MUSINGS

I had an interesting email the day before yesterday from someone who had watched some of my YouTube videos on the Critique of Pure Reason while also struggling with the book and wanted to know whether I thought Kant would agree with my reconstruction of his argument. I told him I had been thinking about that for the past 60 years and did not really know the answer. But it raises an interesting and important question: in what circumstances, if any, are you as the reader in a better position to judge the structure and meaning of an argument in a text than the author of the text himself or herself?  The question comes up all the time, of course, in courses on literature and it is not uncommon for a critic to deny that the novelist is the best judge of the novel. My mind went to one of my favorite moments from the first year of the new doctoral program in Afro-American Studies at UMass – it would have been in the spring semester of 1997. Here is my description of that moment, excerpted from my autobiography:

 

“The assignment one day was Margaret Walker's novel, Jubilee, which chronicles the life of a young woman born into slavery, liberated at the end of the Civil War, and then struggling to make a life for herself during Reconstruction and in the terrible aftermath of Jim Crow.  One of the students asked whether the novel could be read as a work of feminist literature.  Mike Thelwell said that it certainly could not be so read.  John Bracey, who knew a great deal about feminism, then launched into a lengthy and extremely interesting rebuttal to Mike, distinguishing a number of different schools of feminist thought, and suggesting that the novel might be read as feminist by one or another of those schools, but not by yet a third or fourth.  Mike Thelwell, who disliked feminist literary theory as much as he disliked every other school of literary theory, stood fast, insisting that there was no way that the novel could be construed as feminist.

The next class period, the students came in, having read a new book and having prepared a new paper.  As soon as we were convened, Mike began to speak in his characteristically courteous and somewhat orotund fashion.;  "You will recall," he said, "that my esteemed colleague, Professor Bracey, and I had a disagreement when last we met about whether Margaret Walker's novel, Jubilee, could be construed as a feminist work.  I said that it could not, and Professor Bracey mistakenly argued that it could.  I was quite persuaded that I was correct, but I did not wish to leave my judgment thus unsubstantiated, so after the class ended, I went home and I called Miss Walker.  We had a very pleasant conversation, during which I asked her whether her novel could be construed as feminist, and she assured me that it could not."

John exploded at this, saying that every literary critic knew the author was the last person you wanted to ask about the proper interpretation of a piece of fiction, and pointing out that a collection of Mitchell's short stories had been published by a feminist press [a fact of which everyone in the room save John was, of course, ignorant.]  At that point, the rest of us intervened and suggested that we start discussing the book assigned for that day.  But I am very much afraid that the students came away from the experience thinking that in graduate school, when one had a disagreement about the meaning of a text, the normal thing to do was to call up the author, with whom one was, of course, good friends.”

 

But that still leaves us with the question whether a philosophical text can present a central argument that the author is unaware of or unprepared to acknowledge, and in the case of Kant, furthermore, it would unfortunately be impossible to call him up and ask. 

 

All my life, I have been convinced that the answer to the question is “yes” in the case of great philosophers but “no” with respect to the rest of us. Why do I believe that? My reason is this. I think that great thinkers, when they are struggling with questions of great complexity and importance, sometimes see more deeply into an issue than they can say. Seized by this powerful insight, they are unwilling to relinquish it for a less profound but more clearly and easily explainable superficial argument, and so they cling to the insight and preserve it in some form in their writing, even while they may refuse to acknowledge the fully revolutionary character of what they have managed dimly to grasp. It is for we who come after them to grapple with their texts, to wrestle with them all night and not release them until we have been blessed by them, as the Good Book says.

 

In cases like this, of which there are a number but not a great number, it is inevitable that different readers struggling with the text will reconstruct that text in different and incompatible ways so that, just as there are a number of different legitimate ways of performing the same great violin concerto or string quartet, so there are number of legitimate ways of reading a great text.

 

Of course, it is possible that this is merely what the psychoanalysts call rationalization. I recall one day on the analytic couch that I was talking about this very subject and my struggle to find and explicate the argument in the Critique of Pure Reason.  My analyst noted that although I claimed that Kant was the greatest philosopher who ever lived and that the Critique was his greatest work, I was also saying that without my interpretation of it, no one would truly understand what it was saying.  Could this possibly have anything to do with my ambivalent feelings about my father?  Well, I have had two intellectual father–figures in my life, Kant and Marx, and with regard to each of them I have claimed to be able to find and to state clearly a great argument that they placed in their greatest works but were unable to expound with the clarity that I brought to the subject.

 

My analyst may have had a point.

 

2 comments:

David Zimmerman said...

Professor Wolff:

Just a point I am puzzled about, which I hope you can address in a word or two....

Your two intellectual mentors, Kant and Marx, agreed about virtually nothing, transcendental rationalist vs.historical materialist, arch-universal-moralist vs. deep sceptic about the very idea of morality as an animating idea in our lives, and so on down the line, I think.

So, how do you find it possible to avoid cognitive dissonance in finding inspiration in such contradicting ideas?

I've put this badly, but I hope you see the source of my puzzlement.

Cheers.

John Rapko said...

A great post, almost too interesting! Almost every sentence merits reflection. I would like to note that the professor's admirably clear and explicit framing of the issue of interpretation is quite restricted: Might an interpreter be able "to judge the structure and meaning of an argument in a text than the author of the text himself or herself"? So stated, the answer is surely yes, and for many reasons. Most obviously, the exposition of the argument might be confused or obscure. Just as obviously, the argument will at every point rely upon unstated presuppositions, which immediately induces the further questions of precisely which presuppositions, and then whether those presuppositions themselves rely upon presuppositions, and whether those are plausible, and to what degree those are historical artifacts; even a mediocre later interpreter might have a more articulate grasp of such presuppositions (Collingwood has a fundamental discussion of these latter points in An Essay on Metaphysics). And of course the meaning or significance of each and every point in the argument, and the argument as a whole, are subject to interpretive controversy, in countless ways about which a later interpreter is more clairvoyant than the author.--But also the implied comparison with literary interpretation raises another point: one might think that part of the greatness of any number of philosophical texts has more to do with a certain vision or viewpoint, but especially certain questions raised and pursued, than with the particular arguments the writer gave.--Finally, like David Zimmerman I too have wondered about the seeming 'cognitive dissonance' of finding inspiration above all in (just) Kant and Marx. Perhaps the issue of consistency is less pressing for those of us who gain orientation from a ragtag bunch including Plato, Confucius, St. Augustine, Montaigne, et alia; but how would one reconcile a fundamentally ahistorical thinker like Kant with Marx, who said (along with Engels) "We know only a single science, the science of history"?