My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, June 19, 2020

AN HISTORIC GROUNDBREAKING POST


I don’t actually have anything to say today but nonetheless this is an historic post because I am dictating it into my headphone set to Dragon voice recognition software which is transforming it impeccably into written text in my word document. Having acquired this new software and having learned to use it I feel compelled to write even though I have nothing to say. Perhaps this is how the early scribes felt when the first typewriters were invented. While I am here, I will express my pleasure that Amy Klobuchar has taken herself out of contention for the vice presidential nomination. By the way, Dragon thinks that I said Amy Claude Bouchard. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

4 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

How does the software correct for all the "um's" and "er's", "so's" and "well's" that are part of the speech for most of us? I once had a job, working for a linguistics professor, transcribing normal conversations that had been recorded on tape. The professor was studying precisely the use of "um's" and other such verbal devices in normal speech and thus,
I had to transcribe exactly what the people said. Normal speech is full of such verbal devices, the study showed.

For me at least writing rather than dictating is a way of making what I say more precise: that is, my written language is more precise, more concentrated more concise and clearer than my spoken language. Maybe it's not that way for you (Professor Wolff).

Anonymous said...

Hi Professor Wolff, would you happen to know where the Hume Lecture 2 is available? It doesn't seem to be on either your YT channel, or on the Alicia Steinmetz channel.

Also, I would like to recommend a nice microphone upgrade at a reasonable price. They seem to be out of stock for the next three weeks, but the $50 Blue Snowball microphones are a significant step up from the usual headset microphone, and having good audio will dramatically elevate the net quality of a video. Since everyone is stuck inside for the long haul, it might be a good idea! I'm sure with the youtube ad bucks it will pay for itself...

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Snowball-Condenser-Microphone-Cardioid/dp/B014PYGTUQ

Thanks for your videos!

Thilini Prasadika said...

Yay!

Anonymous said...

Robert Paul Wolff David Hume's Theory of Knowledge Lecture Two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-a4vwa6Zo0