My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 18, 2020

LIFE'S LITTLE PLEASURES


When you get to be eight-six, there are not many opportunities to feel young, so you have to make the most of those that crop up.  Now that we are in virtual lockdown here in my retirement community, the dining rooms are closed and we order dinner each day from a limited menu, with deliveries to our door at anywhere between 4 and 5 in the evening.  The main course comes in a plastic container whose top is often rather difficult to open.  Each evening, shortly after the food is delivered, our doorbell rings.  It is Addie, who lives on our floor, asking for help with opening the container.  Addie is a charming, sprightly lady who will turn 98 in September.  She views me as the young man across the hall to whom she can turn for assistance.

I love it.

3 comments:

Jerry Fresia said...

Looks like you are still the young buck in certain circles!

The reverse increasingly happens to me, especially when traveling: I enter a crowded bus or train and some gorgeous young woman gets up and offers me her seat.

marcel proust said...

My mother who was born several years about 7 years before you used to sigh "Ah to be 70 again."

Anonymous said...

You have etched yourself onto the walls of the universe. I love you, Dr. Wolff.