My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, October 5, 2020

STAKING MY CLAIM

Careful readers of this blog will have noticed that recently a person signing himself “MS” has been posting a number of lengthy quite intelligent comments, exhibiting a particular expertise in the law. Exercising the right of all aging professors, I should simply like to point out that this person, more than 50 years ago, was for a very brief period my student. I therefore take full credit for both the intelligence and the knowledgeability of the comments. Those of you who are yourselves professors will understand that this is one of the perquisites of the profession. 

5 comments:

Marc Susselman said...

Thank you Prof. Wolff. That is great. And yes, you do deserve a lot of credit for the improvement of my analytic skills, honed in the class you taught on Kant’s Ethics at Rutgers University a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away. My scholarship as a philosophy major has served me well as an attorney.

For those who have differed with me regarding some of my comments, please continue to do so. I would not want my past history as a student of Prof. Wolff to inhibit any dissent.

MS

F Lengyel said...

Or to inhibit any assent, which I now have to calibrate even higher than it already was, for that matter.

David Zimmerman said...

As a further point of tribute to Professor RPW, may I note that I passed my history pre-lim at U of Michigan in part by carefully reading his Kant's Theory of Mental Activity, while lying in a hospital bed with pneumonia [!]. Being in the hospital focuses the mind.... but so did that fine book.

Jerry Fresia said...

Yes, I have enjoyed MS's comments. So thank you.

MS, I'm sorry but I just don't get the anonymous thing. My guess (and it is really
just that - a guess, with some curiosity thrown in) is that there is concern that your true identify, if revealed, may cause a problem? Why not just write as MS?

Marc Susselman said...

Jerry,

I am trying to make a philosophical/legal point. That we all have a certain duality – the persona we present to the world, i.e., MS; and that unknown persona, the persona we alone know about and which we conceal from the world, hence Unknown.

Just kidding. It is just due to carelessness. I will take your suggestion and sign on as MS hereafter. But I have to figure out how to do it. Do I check the Name/URL circle

MS