My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 23, 2023

A BRIEF RESPONSE TO SOME COMMENTS

Although I am not suffering serious symptoms from the Covid, I find myself without any energy so I have been unable to continue with my Marx book. However, I did want to say a word of thanks to everyone who has expressed good wishes for my recovery.  A special word to Shayan:  I am delighted you have found something of value in my posts on YouTube. Welcome to the blog.


Let me offer one speculation occasioned by the internal incompetence of the House Republican caucus. I wonder whether Jeffries and his aides are sitting quietly, watching McCarthy implode, waiting to make a secret pitch to a group of seven or eight Biden district Republicans, inviting them to switch to the Democratic Party in return for full-scale support in their reelection campaigns next year. They are currently the left wing of the Republican caucus. They would then be the right wing of the Democratic caucus. These sorts of shifts have taken place a number of times in American electoral politics, most notably during my life when the southern segregationist Democrats became Republicans and change the entire electoral map.


It is raining and dismal here in North Carolina, a suitable counterpart to my personal feelings at the moment.


If something like that is to happen, it could only happen after McCarthy's Speakership had been challenged and he had lost several votes.  I may be completely wrong about the possibilities, but if .this is a possibility, I am sure Jeffries haas been thinking about it for months.



1 comment:

T.J. said...

I think the problem is that a Biden district Republican could never win a Democratic primary in a Biden district when their primary opponent can leverage all the things they said and did as a Republican against them. Their only hope is that the local Republican party has enough neocons that they can hold the MAGA paleocons at bay.