My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

NO GO

So I will not be teaching a course at Harvard in the Spring.  I do have a Plan B, which I shall get to a moment, but first let me fill you in on what I was told.  Nicole De\wendorp, a very nice scholar who is currently serving as the acting Director of Undergraduate Studies in Social Studies, told me the following:


First, the disappointing news. There really seem to be too many roadblocks with Harvard’s regulatory world to allow you to be able to teach a seminar in the spring. I will explain:

 

  1. We checked with the Office of Faculty Affairs about whether you could teach for us either for free or for a reduced (token) amount. We were told that for equity reasons, we would have to hire you as a lecturer and pay you at the normal lecturer salary. Our lecturers are paid per “piece” –aka FTEs. We’re allotted only a certain amount of FTEs per year, and this year we’ve completely maxed out our FTEs and do not have any available to add on someone new.
  2. Even if we had any FTEs, the situation is further complicated by the fact that if you live in North Carolina, which I think you do (but please correct me if I am wrong), that’s not a state in which Harvard is registered to do business. What that means is that we cannot legally hire you.
  3. Finally, to teach your class over Zoom, we would need to go through the Accomodations Office, which is apparently not at all accommodating to faculty who want to teach remotely. I don’t know details, but I guess the last time one of our faculty tried to do this for health reasons, it was a huge headache.

 

Second, the hopeful news.

 

David (Armitage) is very excited to hold an event over Zoom in which you would share some of your experiences with the history of Social Studies and Harvard life in the 1950s and 1960s. He, like I was, is also interested in hearing some of your thoughts about the present. He’s thinking that perhaps you could talk for 35 or 40 minutes, after which he would moderate a Q and A. If that sounds agreeable to you, then I will ask our staff assistant, Sarah Helmar, to be in touch with both of you to work out possible scheduling.

 

He's also thinking that if that event goes well, then it would be great to arrange a separate event over Zoom in the spring—a two-hour conversation with you about Marx. I realize that two hours is a poor substitute for an entire semester, but it would at least allow us to benefit from your generous offer without having to navigate the many hurdles that will prevent you from teaching for us this spring.

 

Let me know your thoughts.

 

Nicole


I love the fact that Harvard is not registered to do business in North Carolina! Oh well…


Inasmuch as I shall not be teaching a seminar on the thought of Karl Marx in the spring, I have decided instead to pull together everything I have been working on for the past 40 years with regard to his thought and lay it out, systematically and fully, in a series of blog posts. This will be a book length manuscript running perhaps 400 pages or more and incorporating significant portions of books and articles I have already published, but woven together in a single connected narrative. I will talk more about that tomorrow. For now, I must go back to watching the commentary and the hearing just held in Fulton County, Georgia.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: a book length manuscript running perhaps 400 pages or more and incorporating significant portions of books and articles I have already published, but woven together in a single connected narrative.

Since I can’t make Harvard events, this is the best possible news.

John Rapko said...

'the Accomodations (sic) Office, which is apparently not at all accommodating' is a phrase worthy of Catch-22

Michael Llenos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T.J. said...

I'm not sure whether this counts as the "equity" reason why they insist on paying lecturers at full rates (i.e., why no one can volunteer to teach a class), but I can imagine why a philosophy PhD living in Boston looking for adjunct work to pay the bills might be peeved to find out that teaching gigs are being given over to volunteers rather than lecturers being hired.

There are, after all, only so many students to teach and so only so many classes will be offered. Every student taught by a volunteer is a student not being taught by an adjunct and so an adjunct not being paid to teach.

With so many qualified, under-employed people and comparatively few paying positions, I would probably support a blanket policy that all courses taught for credit have to be taught by a paid lecturer.

stephenmdarling said...

This is a great idea of yours, dear professor. I look forward to reading it all.

LFC said...

It's nice that you got a reply, even if not w/ the outcome you wanted, and that there is a possibility of these other Zoom events.

Anonymous said...

Explanation 2 is, literally, incredible.

vaneeza said...

You can teach the summer course on YouTube live as well , it will be equally great ,better if I am being honest ,students like me , (I am doing my masters in philosophy from Delhi university in India) will also be able able to participate and be a part of it.
I think it’s a brilliant opportunity for students like us.
Please consider it
Thank you

Ridiculousicculus said...

Baller - I can't wait.