My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 21, 2020

QUARANTINE BROODINGS


I sit here in protected, comfortable isolation, preparing my Hume lectures, all the while trying to understand what is going to happen to the world I thought I knew.  Because I spent my entire adult life as a university professor, my attention has been drawn to the likely impact of the present crisis on that part of the social world.  I do not have any knowledge that is not readily available to all of you, but perhaps my musings will be of interest. 

Almost all of the discussion I have seen of the impact of the virus on universities or colleges has focused on one small corner of the higher educational world, that occupied by the famous elite schools.  This elite school is considering starting the fall semester early and ending by Thanksgiving so that students will not go home, get infected, and bring the virus back to campus.  That elite school has extended until June 1st the deadline for admitted applicants to accept admission.  Another elite school is cancelling lectures while hoping to continue small in-person tutorials.  All of the top schools, despite their bloated endowments, are privately worried that overseas students, who pay full tuition and do not get financial aid, will stay home, throwing school budgets into the red.  An old friend who has spent his entire career at Columbia tells me that 31% of Columbia’s students come from overseas, and all of the name schools have been living large for years off the fees paid by the hordes of students who come from Mainland China.

But I want to try to think about the impact of the virus on the schools not in the elite enclave.  One commentator I read remarked at one point that the top schools would adapt and survive but what about the 1000 schools below them?  That comment caught my eye because, in an effort to be ecumenical, it was so utterly clueless.

Let us remind ourselves of some facts, many of which I have cited before on this blog. 

1.         America has a sharply pyramidal, extremely unequally compensated job structure.
2.         A four year college degree is, more than any other credential or characteristic, the entrĂ©e to the good paying jobs that offer, in addition to good wages, health care, paid vacations,        and advancement opportunities.
3.         Roughly 63% of high school graduates enroll in four year degree granting colleges and university campuses, and 55% of those actually graduate, so that in the adult population, roughly 35% have BA’s or equivalent degrees.  65% do not!!
4.         There are more than 4,600 colleges and university campuses in the United States.  Not 8, not 20, not 100, but 4,600!  The 1000 schools below the elite 100 are still in the top one-fourth, with another 3500 below them.  Every graduate of the least of these schools is among the favored 35% who can at least have a chance at one of the good jobs in America.  [Forget Bill Gates.  I know he never graduated.  In this discussion, he and his ilk are just shiny objects meant to distract us from the facts.]
5.         [Personal note]  A school like UMass Amherst, where I went to teach for 37 years after resigning my Columbia professorship in 1971, is not one of the nameless campuses in the hinterlands of the great unwashed.  It is an elite school.  Why do I say that?  Because I am pretty confident that UMass Amherst would be considered one of the 200 – 250 best colleges or universities in America, and that would put it in the top 5%!  Indeed, unless you are a college basketball fan, I would bet you would have a hard time even naming 250 American colleges and university campuses, and if you could, could you also name a second 200?  That would still only get you to 10% of the total.

Most of the 4,600 institutions of higher education have small endowments, whether they are public or private.  Can they survive a year without their customary tuition and fee income?  What will happen to them if 30% or more of their students decide to take a gap year and stay in their parents’ homes?  Will parents be willing to pay the outsized costs of a college education if that education is delivered on-line to young men and women who never leave home?

Much has been made in the discussions I have seen of the value of the campus experience, something that is missing from on-line education.  But that experience is essentially enculturation into a privileged social class rather than a desideratum for intellectual development.  I rather suspect similar doubts were expressed when the aristocratic tradition of private tutors gave way to the vulgarity of classrooms.

My guess is that a great many colleges will be forced to close their doors in the next twelve months, a number of HBCUs among them.  All I can do is sit here, my zoom skills honed, and offer my services to any college or university, here or abroad, looking for someone to teach the Philosophy of Hume, the Philosophy of Kant, the thought of Marx, the elements of formal methods in political theory, Ideological Critique. Or anything else that comes to mind.

4 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

I went to a supposedly elite university and the campus experience was a lot more than "enculturation into a privileged social class", if it was that at all.

My discussions in the dorms or in bars with classmates were a lot more intellectually stimulating than my classroom experience. Many of the books that I read with interest and which marked me, for example, those of Marcuse , those of Nietzsche and those of Sartre, were not assigned in class, but were recommended by classmates or campus friends.

In addition, my campus experience was the beginning of my radical political education, an education that would have been difficult to duplicate in my hometown and even if there are radical videos in Youtube, watching a video is not the same thing as participating in a political group, with meetings, demonstrations, building occupations, etc.

Finally, going to college liberated me from the presence of my parents and was the first step in a long journey towards being me, a journey that I could not begin at home due to family conflicts and pressures.

s. wallerstein said...

I continue:

Actually, my university experience was a liberation from an enculturation into a privileged social class, a process which of course only those from a privileged social class can go through and it was that for many of my friends, although not for all of them.

Without being together with intellectual peers and being away from my family, I would not have gone through that process, without tremendous psychological violence to myself and to my family. I had found a few peers by the end of high school among my high school classmates, but we were a small coterie, while in the university I was surrounded by peers and that makes a difference.

Maybe that experience was unique to the 60's, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

The liberal art wing of my alma mater still hasn't recovered from the last recession. Another effect of that recession was the siphoning off of students from history, philosophy, literature, religious studies, and other humanities majors to business and engineering. Given not only economic precarity but increasingly high tuition, many students feel a sense of safety (however cliched and disproportionate) in more "lucrative" majors. Gotta pay those loans back.

This will happen again in the current recession.

Another factor is the Right's decades-long war on higher education, despite the law and business degrees its upwardly mobile constituents have gained from universities, in many cases, public universities. The dislocations from the pandemic and the readily available justifications for de-funding higher education virtually ensures that this war will escalate.

One of this blog's readers posted a very helpful article a few weeks back. I'll re-post it here since the topic is fresh. BTW, it also goes into, essentially, the political economy of online education. (Recall the discussion RPW initiated a few weeks ago about online education vs. in-person education.)


http://bostonreview.net/forum/jeffrey-aaron-snyder-higher-education-age-coronavirus

Christopher J. Mulvaney, Ph.D. said...

The situation of Columbia's reliance on foreign students paying full freight is mirrored in many state schools that rely on out-of-state tuition to make ends meet. The University of Vermont is in this group.

Anonymous may be right regarding the effects of the "dislocations from the pandemic." But that assumes the far right is not a big loser in November. I would bet that the the rise of the fascist right, the pandemic and how it has exposed the idiocy of the right, and the depression may well be the conditions that compel students to turn to the study history, the social sciences and humanities.